EKM Homepage eCommerce Blog by EKM
EKM Homepage eCommerce Blog by EKM
Blog menu

How to get customers to become repeat purchasers

If like most of our EKM shop owners, you’re wanting to encourage your customers to become returning customers, but you’re not sure where to start. We’re going to be talking through how you can help bring your customers back to your shop time and time again.

Creating a good customer experience

The first thing you need to do before you’ve even built your marketing campaign is to create a good experience for your customers during their first purchase. This includes everything from the look and feel of your online shop, to the communication they had with you regarding their order.

Think about the beginning of the customer journey all the way through to the packaging and delivery process of their items. Was the experience pleasant? Were you able to delight them? If they had any issues during the process did you handle the issues well, with a positive outcome for both your business and the customer?

If there are some gaps within your entire customer journey that are taking away from the customer’s experience when buying from your shop, you may want to address these first. Your customers aren’t going to want to come back and buy from you again if their experience was tainted in some way.

After marketing

The next thing you’ll want to look at is your after marketing. How you communicate with customers after their first purchase will help to either make them a repeat customer or may turn them off from ever buying again.

Email marketing

Make sure to send them an email thanking them for buying from you and asking them to leave a review for the item. This will in turn help encourage other customers to purchase. One tactic is to offer a 10% discount to the customer once they’ve submitted a review to thank them and thus they may be more inclined to go back and get another item.

You may also want to ‘gently’ suggest to them that they sign up for your newsletter to be the first to know about the latest offers, new products and be part of your exclusive offers which we’ll talk about a little later on.

Remarketing

You could also run some remarketing ads for items they looked at on your site so  they’re constantly reminded of the items they looked at on your site while scrolling through Facebook or shopping on sites that run Google Ads. Customers who see retargeted ads are 43% more likely to return and make a purchase.

According to AdRoll only 2% of shoppers purchase on their first visit. Remarketing works to bring back the other 98%. This tactic doesn’t  just help you bring back customers that have purchased in the past, but also those who have browsed your products but not necessarily bought.

Social media

Sometimes, customers will post your products on their social media accounts and if by chance they tag you in the post, you can reshare this to your own profile or story. This isn’t only a great way to showcase your products and customers sharing them, but a great way to thank your customers publicly for their purchase. This can help provide the customers with a feeling of joy because they purchased from your shop and were recognised for it on your brand’s social media channel.

Exclusivity

The key to creating a list of loyal repeat customers is to make them feel special. The best way to do this is to create an air of exclusivity that they can be a part of by doing a certain thing. For example, signing up to your newsletter as we mentioned earlier could unlock special offers and discounts for subscribers only. Creating a Facebook community to share ideas or things relating to your products is another great option. But there are other ways to create exclusivity too.

Limited time offers, and or limited time products create a sense of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) which is a great incentive to get customers to buy now. You will see a lot of influencers do limited releases of their exclusive merchandise; so only some people in their community have those limited edition products. This idea can be transferred to any type of business.

What are some of the tactics you’ve used to get customers coming back for more? Let us know in the comments below.

If you’d like to learn more about setting up your own online shop, you can speak to our ecommerce experts on 0333 004 0333 or request a callback here.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What are you waiting for?

Your own successful online shop is just a click away