Product tagging – or as it’s more popularly known ‘Instagram Shopping’ is a feature on Instagram which allows you to upload product images and tag these with a link which allows customers to purchase. It’s a fantastic way of encouraging new customers on Instagram, as anyone who likes your products can simply click the image to be taken directly to your online shop to purchase that item.
Before you begin, you need to ensure that you have opened up both an Instagram account and a Facebook Page for your online shop, and these are fully completed in terms of contact details, quality logos and branding which matches that of your online shop. You must also ensure that your Facebook Page has a Shop tab and that you have populated it with all of your products.
You must also ensure that your Instagram content already reaches the minimum standard, as if it does not, Instagram may not allow you to use the product tagging functionality. In it’s most basic sense, minimum standard means not simply uploading product images with plain white backgrounds from your online shop and using these; Instagram wants to see products in ‘styled’ and ‘lifestyle’ images. This blog post explains more – I recommend that you read it before setting up Instagram Shopping to ensure that your Instagram account is approved quickly.
To be approved for Instagram Shopping, you must ensure that:
- Your business sells physical goods that comply with Instagram’s Commerce Policies and Merchant Agreement;
- Your business must be located in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain or Brazil;
- Your Instagram Business Profile must have been connected to a Facebook catalogue. This can be created and managed on Business Manager or through your business Page on Facebook.
Converting to a Business Profile
1. Open the Instagram app on your phone and click the hamburger menu.
2. Click the Settings symbol.
3. Click Switch to Business Account.
4. Click Continue.
5. Click Continue.
6. Click Continue.
7. Click Continue.
8. You’ll then be asked to connect your Facebook Page to your Instagram account. Click the circle next to the most appropriate page and then click next.
9. You’ll then be asked to confirm your email address. Click Next.
10. You’ll then be returned to your Instagram profile.
Once you have converted your Instagram from a Personal to a Business account, you need to wait for your account to be reviewed. This process usually takes a few days, but if Instagram needs more details from you, this process can take longer. If your account is approved, you’ll then receive a notification from Instagram and be able to turn on Product Tagging within your Instagram Settings.
Tagging your Products
11. As soon as your account has been approved to add Instagram Shopping, you’ll get a notification on the Instagram app. Open the Instagram app, and click the Menu.
12. Then you need to click the Settings symbol.
13. Scroll down the different options, and you’ll notice you can now see ‘Shopping’ listed beneath ‘Business Settings’. Click Shopping.
14. Click Continue.
15. You’ll then see that you need to check the box for the Product Catalogue from your Facebook Page. Check the box and then click the tick symbol in the top left-hand corner.
16. This will return you to the Settings page. Click the Home symbol.
17. Your next step is to tag your products within your existing Instagram posts. Remember, you cannot tag a person and a product in the same image – you can only tag one! Look for one of your existing images where a person is not tagged within it, and click the three dots on the top left-hand corner.
18. Click Edit.
19. Click Tag.
20. In the window that appears, click ‘Tag products’.
21. You then need to tap the product within the post.
22. This will then launch a list of the products on your Facebook Page. Tap the appropriate product.
23. You will then see the Instagram Shopping tag appear on your image. Click the tick in the top right-hand corner.
24. Click the tick again.
25. You’ll then see the Shopping Bag symbol displayed on your image, indicated that there’s a product tagged in it.
26. Repeat this process with the rest of your existing Instagram posts. For every image that had a product tagged within it, you’ll see the Shopping Bag symbol displayed.
Going forward, as you add more images to your Instagram account, simply follow the same process to tag your products within each post. This will, in turn, encourage potential visitors to click through to your online shop directly from their Instagram.